Sunday, March 15, 2015

Mill Creek: The Big Picture

Here is the view of Mill Creek from one of the pullouts on Nacimiento Road.

This watershed is home to a large creek, fed by many small tributaries.
A popular hiking trail leads from the bottom of the canyon for several miles.

The road is a long and winding one, as the Beatles song described.  For me, it is the road home, which I have driven thousands of times, and is so familiar.

The rocks hold mysteries, as the road crosses an important geological interface between Franciscan and Laurentian formations.  (I'm not a geologist, but a friend explained this to me in great detail.)  what it means for the observer is that there are stripes of limestone and formations that stimulate the imagination.  The sides of the road are decorated with wild flowers.  The rains this year have give me a sense of expectation that a good wildflower display will appear. 

In this photo, the ridge on the right hides from view the place where Big Sur Retreat Camp is located, on the flat pasture ground, just above the ranch house.

The difference between the southern and northern exposures is profound.  On the left, the southern exposure, you see how the land is steep, and dominated by scrub brush, rocks, and thin grass.  This is because of the heat of summer, keeping plant growth in check.

On the right, the northern slope, trees grow huge and the shade of green is deep because of the density of leaf growth.  the various gray trunks are those which were burned in the fire several years ago.  Many of these trees were killed, but not all.  Some are putting out fresh growth at the base.

 It is wonderful to see green on the hills this year.  I hope to enjoy the company of visitors, and to be able to share this treasure of Nature.

Get in touch with me to find out how to get out into the back country in comfort and style, and have an amazing experience in Mill Creek!

Have a lovely day,
Betty

Click here to visit Big Sur Retreat Camp by video!

Visit my web site for more information!


I have spent over forty years in the back country of Big Sur, gathering experience that I would love to share with you.
My service orientation drives my successful food distribution business, and is key in the high quality of my hand made fashion items, known for their originality and quality.  
I have served on various boards and community organizations for many years, including the school board that established an independent school district in this area.
I recently founded Big Sur Visionary Life Network, a forum and support group for local creative and visionary people to gather and collaborate.  You can learn more about it here:

Monterey and Big Sur Visionary Life Network

I currently serve on the Executive Committee of the Planning Process for the California Coastal Trail, Big Sur section.

In June of 2015 I will join the Big Sur Multi Agency Advisory Council as local representative.




No comments: