Sunday, February 23, 2014

Essential Freedom in Simplicity--Refresh your Inner Life

Essential Freedom in Simplicity--Refresh your Inner Life

The mandala above is my own work, crocheted in embroidery floss.  It holds a great complexity in its pattern, and yet it resolves into a simple design that is pleasing and refreshing.  The piece is about 11' in diameter.

For me it is an illustration of quiet concentration, a project which anchored me during a difficult period of my life.  By focusing on the overall design while yet handling all the details, I was able to move forward without getting stuck on what was happening around me, since I was busy thinking about what was going on inside of my own universe.  A pretty neat little trick for mediation, this needlework stuff!

Focusing on the things that are working rather than on my own ideas about "how things should be" has been a great key for serenity. 

There is so much in life that is not subject to our own control, yet by creating objects of beauty, that same energy can be made visible in a form that transcends its original function.  The beauty outlasts the force that created it.

So I want to share with you the product of this experience, and invite you to join me for creative relaxation and community  her in Big Sur.

There are many types of creative retreats being planned and created here in Mill Creek.


Come and visit!

Three ways to visit me:

www.bettyofbigsur.com  My web site, where you will find information and updates about events and my work,

www.etsy.com/shop/bettyofbigsur, a shop to showcase and sell examples of my art and fashion designs,

www.retreatcampchecklist.com, a checklist about camping retreats, to let you know what is here, and let me know what you would like to have, and to do, in Big Sur!  Fun, quick, instant feedback!

No comments: